Terms and Conditions ("Terms")
Last updated: 9/7/2023
Please read these Terms and Conditions ("Terms", "Terms and Conditions") carefully before using the Website (http://improvingliteracy.org) operated by the National Center on Improving Literacy (NCIL) ("us", "we", or "our").
Your access to and use of the Website is conditioned on your acceptance of and compliance with these Terms. These Terms apply to all visitors, users and others who access or use the Website.
By accessing or using the Website you agree to be bound by these Terms. If you disagree with any part of the terms then you may not access the Website.
By using improvingliteracy.org you represent that you are not a person barred from receiving services under the laws of the United States or any of its states or any other applicable jurisdictions. If you are under age 13, please do not create an account with, or provide any personal information to the Website.
Our Intellectual Property
The Website and its entire contents, features, and functionality (including but not limited to all information, software, text, displays, images, video, and audio, and the design, selection, and arrangement thereof) are owned by NCIL, its licensors, or other providers of such material and are protected by United States and international copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, and other intellectual property or proprietary rights laws.
- Your computer may temporarily store copies of such materials incidental to your accessing and viewing those materials.
- You may store files that are automatically cached by your Web browser for display enhancement purposes.
- You may print or download one copy of a reasonable number of pages of the Website for your own personal, non-commercial use and not for further reproduction, publication, or distribution.
- You may use in college instruction, free professional development activities, and independent learning opportunities for practicing educators.
- If we provide desktop, mobile, or other applications for download, you may download a single copy to your computer or mobile device solely for your own personal, non-commercial use, provided you agree to be bound by our end user license agreement for such applications.
- If we provide social media features with certain content, you may take such actions as are enabled by such features.
You must not:
- Modify copies of any materials from this site, except to the extent modification is intended (for example, course planning templates or other downloadable files intended for personal use).
- Use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences, or any graphics separately from the accompanying text.
- Delete or alter any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary rights notices from copies of materials from this site.
You must not access or use for any commercial purposes any part of the Website or any services or materials available through the Website.
If you wish to make any use of material on the Website other than that set out in this section, you must secure written permission from us.
This is a list of specific things that you agree you will not do when accessing or using the Website.
You represent and warrant that you will not use improvingliteracy.org to:
- Violate any law or encourage or provide instructions to another to do so;
- Post any content that you are not authorized to post;
- Post anything that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files, or programs designed to interrupt, destroy, or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment, including by engaging in any denial of service attack;
- Exceed your authorized access to any portion of improvingliteracy.org;
- Remove, delete, alter, circumvent, avoid, or bypass any watermark or digital rights management technology;
- Use data mining, robots, screen scraping, or similar data gathering and extraction tools;
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any advertising or promotional material without our prior written consent, including any “junk mail,” “chain letter,” “spam,” or any other similar solicitation;
- Collect or store personal data about anyone;
- Attack the Website via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of-service attack; or
- Act in a manner that negatively affects other users’ ability to use improvingliteracy.org.
Linking to the Website
You may link to our website, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it, but you must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval, or endorsement on our part without our express written consent.
This Website may provide certain social media features that enable you to:
- Link from your own or certain third-party websites to certain content on this Website.
- Send emails or other communications with certain content, or links to certain content, on this Website.
- Cause limited portions of content on this Website to be displayed or appear to be displayed on your own or certain third-party websites.
You may use these features solely as they are provided by us, and solely with respect to the content they are displayed with, and otherwise in accordance with any additional terms and conditions we provide with respect to such features. Subject to the foregoing, you must not:
- Establish a link from any website that is not owned by you.
- Cause the Website or portions of it to be displayed on, or appear to be displayed by, any other site, for example, framing, deep linking, or in-line linking.
Our Actions If You Breach These Terms
If you breach these Terms, we can terminate your access immediately.
Links To Other Web Sites
Our Website may contain links to third-party web sites or services that are not owned or controlled by us.
We have no control over, and assumes no responsibility for, the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third party web sites or services. You further acknowledge and agree that we shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, goods or services available on or through any such web sites or services.
The National Center on Improving Literacy does not endorse individual vendors, products or services. See our Endorsement Disclaimer for more information.
We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to modify or replace these Terms at any time. We will tell you when we do so. If you continue to use the Website you agree to the new Terms, rules and/or policies.
If you have any questions about these Terms, please contact us.
The research reported here is funded by awards to the National Center on Improving Literacy from the Office of Elementary and Secondary Education, in partnership with the Office of Special Education Programs (Award #: S283D160003). The opinions expressed are those of the authors and do not represent views of OESE, OSEP, or the U.S. Department of Education. Copyright © 2024 National Center on Improving Literacy. https://improvingliteracy.org